3. Where do you usually spend your holiday? I spend Christmas with my family. When I was younger, my parents, my brother and I would drive up to my Mom’s mom’s house (about an hour away), spend a few hours there, eat lunch, exchange presents, then head to Dad’s parents’ house (15 minute drive) for dinner and more presents. Now, since my dad’s parents have passed, I don’t see much of his side of the family. Instead, my fella and I stay with my parents and head to Mom’s mom’s for Christmas day.
5. Do you open any presents on Christmas Eve? My fella and I are horrible with gift giving! Once we have each others’ presents, we want to give them, but this year, we have actually made a pact, not only with each other, but with my Mom, that we open presents the day before Christmas Eve this year, as to not have to travel with them. When I was a child, it was dangerous to even suggest such an anomaly.
6. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? On Dasher, on Dancer, on Prancer, and Vixen, on Comet, on Cupid, on Donner, and Blitzen… and my boy Rudolph. 😉
7. Is your Christmas tree real or fake?
When I was little, ever since I was a baby, my family would go to a local tree farm around Halloween and tag our tree, then return early December and cut it down. I’ve always loved having real trees (especially White Pines!); they make the house smell so nice! My parents still set up a real tree and when I come home for the holidays, I usually end up decorating it. Since we travel for Christmas, I don’t really see the need to do any sort of decorating at my house, but I do have a Charlie Brown Christmas tree (fake) that we stand on top of our pile of present. It may look pathetic to some, but it’s all we need to get in to the holiday spirit.
8. What is your all time favorite holiday food/sweet treat? COOKIES!!! I love the variety of cookies around Christmas time: chocolate chip, sugar, gingerbread, snicker-doodle, molasses, shortbread, peanut butter… you just can’t beat a fresh baked cookie, with a cup of tea. Heaven on earth! 😋
9. What would be your dream place to visit for the holiday season? One of my bucket list items that is waiting to be checked off is to visit New York City during the holidays. I would love to see the city decked out in lights, garlands, and ornaments. If it were to snow and I could take a horse drawn carriage ride through Central Park, then I would be the happiest girl in the world.
10. Are you a pro-present wrapper, or do you fail miserably? Pro-fo-sho! I love wrapping presents. I have actually wrapped some of my own in the past; pre-boxed of course! 😊
11. Be honest: do you like giving gifts or receiving gifts better? I adore giving gifts: seeing the reaction of the person unwrapping the gift just makes my heart happy. 💖 It helps that I’m a pretty bomb gift-giver.
12. What makes the holiday special for you? It sounds cliche, but spending time with family: catching up with my brother, baking cookies with Mom, hanging out with Dad, getting to see my grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins; it’s all so wonderful.
BONUS! Some of my favorite festive traditions:
- Decorating gingerbread cookies as a friendly competition with my family to be judged by Grandma’s senior group, with the winner receiving a gift card to Walmart.
- Decorating the tree while listening to Christmas music
- Instead of individualized/personal gifts, Grandma puts together mystery boxes. Everyone gets to open one each (at random). The only rule: if you get something wearable, you have to put it on and pose for a picture. The wearable items have ranged from aprons, googlie-eye glasses, fake mustaches, giant woman’s underwear (5ft circumfrance), and feather boas. Also, she hides a purple button in one gift. Whoever finds the button gets a gift card to Walmart.
- Baking cookies with my Mom. We have already done our baking this year and the cookies are all gone. (Sorry Santa!)
Well… there you have it! A glimpse into my wonderful world of Christmas. Just 4 more days of work, then it’s off to celebrate with my favorite people. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and ring in the new year with the ones you love. ❌⭕️❌⭕️
I will be taking a brief hiatus from blogging during this holiday season to enjoy my time with friends and family. I encourage everyone to do the same. I will see you next year!